Strolling the hills of the island smells of alesfakias, oregano, the savory, the askinou of sapsychou, marine lily and so many other naturally aromatic shrubs, making walking, light and cheerful. Walking Lipsi joyful images of astonishing and yet wild beauty. The jet black rocks give way to lush landscapes.
Gullies, small lush valleys. Vineyards, olive trees, fig trees, manicured gardens everywhere and among them a crowd domestic animals, cow, sheep, poultry, horses, mules and donkeys, who still remain loaded n ‘climb’ t uphill paths and small forests with their insular cedars will impress. On your journeys you feel your feet rooted cedar branching like snakes on the sand, to meet thyme and lentisks and chothoun deep in the sand searching for moisture.
The biodiversity of the Polynesia of Lipsi is extremely interesting. On the island of Lipsi identified a new species of flora in Allium dodecanessi. Also stand out:
- Astivi (Sarcopoterium spinosum)
- Thyme (Thymus capitatus)
- Savory (Satureja thymbra)
- Daffodil (Asphodelus fistulosus)
- Lychnarakia (Ballota acetabulosa)
- Mullein (Verbascum sinuatum)
- Glastros (Daphne gnidioides)
- Aspalathos (Calicotome villosa)
- Agrelia (Olea europaea sylvestris)
- Schinos (Pistacia lentiscus)
- Juniper (Juniperus excelsa)
- Pine (Pinus brutia)
- Aeilanthos or βρωμοκαρυδιά (Ailanthus altissima)
- Vermicelli (type of cedar – Juniperus phoenicea)
Of the cultivated species is prevalent: psilokarpi olive, almond, ampeli- in many varieties; fig, pear, lemon and other citrus fruits, pomegranates, peaches, potatoes, onions, watermelons, cucumbers, squash, okra, peas, leeks, chickpeas, sesame, garlic, lentils, beans and tomatoes, which are Small fruited. Residents make them “stafylotsampia” and decorate with them walls of their homes.
They also grow cabbage, celery, dill, peppers, eggplant, corn, carrots and other vegetables which give the island self-sufficiency. The delicious products of the land use and taverns.
Flora include inter alia:
- Bonelli’s Eagle ((Hieraaetus fasciatus)
- Rabbits; (Orycto lagus cuniculus)
- Mafropontikos ((Rattus rattus)
- Ottoman viper (Vipera xanthina)
Most inhabitants of Lipsi are domesticated animals (goats, pigs, chickens, ducks, rabbits, cows), pets (dogs and cats) and horses and donkeys.